THE FIVE SOLAS of the PROTESTANT REFORMATION
The Word of God Community Church adheres to the five Solas of the Protestant Reformation, which are listed below:
1. Sola Scriptura / Scripture alone — The Bible is the only or sole written revelation from God. It is therefore our only certain and infallible rule for faith and life (Matthew 4:4; II Timothy 3:16)
2. Sola Fide / Faith alone — Justification or a righteous standing before God is by faith in Christ alone. It is by God’s free gift of grace that the righteousness of Jesus Christ is imputed, deposited or attributed to us by our faith in Christ alone. This is the only grounds of our acceptance by God, and it is the only grounds by which we are pardoned or forgiven of our sins (Romans 5:1; Galatians 2:16).
3. Sola Gratia / Grace alone — Our salvation rests solely on God’s grace alone for and towards us (Ephesians 2:8-10).
4. Solus Christus / Christ alone — Jesus Christ’s work on the cross of Calvary is the only work through which we are redeemed or saved from all of our sins. This includes the sin of Adam inherited by all humans, and the personal past, present, and future sins of Christians (John 14:6; John 3:16).
5. Soli Deo Gloria / to the Glory of God alone — Salvation is of God alone and has been accomplished by God alone. It is for these reasons to God alone belongs the glory in all things (Isaiah 42:8; Jonah 2:9; Revelation 5:13).